Park Orchards Sewerage Project
Yarra Valley Water is undertaking an innovative project to deliver sewerage services to the Park Orchards community.
This project covers the majority of Park Orchards and seeks to provide over 1,200 residents with a fit for purpose sewerage system. Properties will primarily be from Park Orchards, however others from Ringwood and Warrandyte will also be included in this project.
Park Orchards Sewerage Project map
Did you know?
Poorly performing septic systems in your area are discharging over 1,800 kilograms of nutrients and over 18 trillion viruses every year into your local environment. This nutrient discharge to our waterways is equivalent to dumping over 1,200 bags of fertilizer into our waterways each year! Excess nutrients harm aquatic life and can make waterway conditions toxic.
Poorly performing septic systems can also be a nuisance for you and your neighbours by creating unpleasant odour and soggy backyards.
Information about septic tanks, including ongoing maintenance and management, are available through Manningham City Council.
There are 100 properties in the trial area surrounding the Park Orchards Primary School and main shops.
Of the 100 properties:
- 84 have been classified as able to treat and manage their wastewater on site. We have now completed upgrades of on-site systems on most of these properties as of September 2017. Some irrigation performance improvements and maintenance works will continue to occur over the coming months. Thank you for your patience as these works are occurring.
- Nine properties have been classified as unable to contain their waste onsite. This includes the shopping precinct and some residential properties in the trial area. We are designing a sewer pipeline to service these properties and expect to commence construction by mid-2018.
- Four properties have been classified as partly able to contain their wastewater onsite. We are currently developing a new type of onsite system for these properties. They will also require a connection to the sewer pipeline. Installations will commence near the conclusion of the construction of the sewer pipeline.
In August 2017, residents outside the trial area were provided with a trial project update. Another update will be provided in August 2018.
We will commence an environmental monitoring program in the trial and broader Park Orchards area in July 2018. Monitoring will continue for approximately 2 years (until July 2019).
A small sewer extension is planned for the Colman Reserve in Ringwood. This sewer will only provide sewerage services to the reserve and will not impact the outcomes of the trial project.
Our upcoming actions are to:
- Finish designing of and construct the sewer, pending relevant approvals.
- Continue environmental monitoring for two years (until at least July 2019).
- We will evaluate the trial and determine the best sewerage servicing approach for the 1,200 properties in the Park Orchards and Ringwood North Community Sewerage Area. This may take until the end of 2020.
Recently, Yarra Valley Water sent this factsheet to all residents in the Park Orchards and Ringwood North Community Sewerage Area
Download factsheet (363KB)
Park Orchards Trial Community Engagement Panel (POTCEP)
A panel has been operating since 2013 to liaise with relevant customers and community groups regarding the provision of a sewer servicing trial in the Park Orchards and Ringwood North community. The panel provides feedback on communication strategies for the trial project and seeks to obtain feedback from panel members regarding considerations to be addressed.
A broad range of representation was selected for POTCEP. This includes residents inside the trial area and also those from the broader Park Orchards sewerage project area.
- Elizabeth Hanson
- Robyn McKenzie
- Andrew Prout
- Trevor Street
- Matt Wagenfeld
- Frank Walker
- Peter White
You can view the presentations and minutes from each panel meeting below.
- June 2018: Presentation / Minutes
- November 2017: Presentation / Minutes
- July 2017: Presentation / Minutes
- May 2017: Presentation / Minutes
- February 2017: Presentation / Minutes
- November 2016: Presentation / Minutes
- September 2016: Presentation / Minutes
- June 2016: Presentation / Minutes
- April 2016: Presentation / Minutes
- February 2016: Presentation / Minutes
- November 2015: Presentation / Minutes
- July 2015: Presentation / Minutes
- May 2015: Presentation / Minutes
- February 2015: Presentation / Minutes
- December 2014: Presentation / Minutes
- October 2014: Presentation / Minutes