Donvale Sewerage Project
Yarra Valley Water is in the construction stage of providing new sewerage services to properties in Donvale.
The project area is generally bound by Glenvale Road to the east, the Mullum Mullum Creek and Smedley Road to the North, the EastLink Tunnel to the south and Old Warrandyte Road to the west.
Donvale is an established suburb on Melbourne's north-eastern urban fringe. The majority of properties in Donvale are currently un-sewered and will be sewered by the Donvale Sewerage Project.
Some of the key benefits of the project will include:
- Improving the health of the waterways by decommissioning leaking septic tanks
- Protecting public health
- Reducing odours in the area
- Providing a more liveable environment for the residents of Donvale.
Declaration of sewerage services in Donvale
We formally declared parts of the sewerage service in Donvale to be 'ready for use' on 28 June 2017. Owners of properties that are ready to connect will have received a letter from Yarra Valley Water including instructions on how to connect.
Did you know?
Poorly performing septic systems in your area are discharging over 1,800 kilograms of nutrients and over 18 trillion viruses every year into your local environment. This nutrient discharge to our waterways is equivalent to dumping over 1,200 bags of fertilizer into our waterways each year! Excess nutrients harm aquatic life and can make waterway conditions toxic.
Poorly performing septic systems can also be a nuisance for you and your neighbours by creating unpleasant odour and soggy backyards.
The project has been divided into the following four work packages:
- Package C
Includes the ‘Donvale Branch Sewer’ which will form the backbone of the Donvale Sewerage Project. Once completed, this 4 kilometre-long sewer will transport sewage from Glenvale Road in Ringwood North to a point in our existing sewerage network near Old Warrandyte Road in Donvale. Sewerage pipes from Packages D, E and F will also connect to this new branch sewer.
Package C will also see 2.5 kilometres of smaller sewer pipes constructed in streets that are in close proximity to the branch sewer.
- Package D
13 kilometres of reticulation sewer pipe and 326 property connections.
- Package E
10.5 kilometres of reticulation sewer pipe and 291 property connections.
- Package F
14.5 kilometres of reticulation sewer pipe and 390 property connections.
Most of the un-sewered properties in Donvale are scheduled to be serviced over a two year period commencing in the 2015/16 financial year and finishing during 2017/18.
- Package C – Construction in progress
- Package D – Construction in progress
- Package E – Construction in progress
- Package F – Construction in progress
- Package F (Mullum Mullum Trail section) - Completed
- Package C – Construction in Progress
- Package D – Construction in Progress
- Package E – Construction in Progress
- Package F – Construction in Progress
- Package F (Mullum Mullum Trail Section) – Completed
- Construction works for the Donvale Branch Sewer are scheduled to be completed in late 2018 and will become the backbone of the Donvale Sewerage Project
- Construction works for the branch sewer are now complete within the Mullum Mullum Creek Linear Park Reserve, west of Park Road. We will continue to monitor the growth of the new grass in the areas where our works occurred and we will be planting some replacement trees here too.
- Construction works have been delayed in the Aquarius Court area but are expected to resume in April 2018.
- Works within the Alder Court reserve and along the back of some properties in Heads Road have commenced.
- Works along Oban Road have also commenced. To limit disruptions to property owners and road users, we will be using underground boring equipment to construct a 470m long sewer pipe along Oban Road. This will minimise the number of times we need to close sections of Oban Road to traffic.
- The sewerage network in Conos Court, Paddy’s Lane and some properties along Park Road is now available to connect to. Owners of these properties were notified in February 2018 about how to connect to the new sewerage network.
- The sewerage network in Raymond Elliot Court, Tralee Court, Tindals Road and the northern end of Berrima Road is now available to connect to. Owners of properties in these streets were notified in June 2017 about how to connect to the new sewer network.
- We still have some work to complete in Cat Jump Road and Charlwood Court and these works are expected to resume in April 2018.
- Works will soon begin in Springvale Road
- Our pressure sewer installation contractor (Pressure Sewer Services Australia) is currently installing pressure sewer pump units at properties that will be receiving a pressure sewer connection.
- All of the sewers in the Package D area are expected to be completed by mid-2018
- Properties in Garden Road, Flora Road, Sowter Court, Tadstan Place, Pine Ridge, along with some properties in McGowans Road and Berrima Road will soon be able to connect to the new sewerage network. Owners of these properties will shortly receive a letter explaining how to connect to the new sewerage network.
- The sewer network is now available to connect to in the following areas - Mullum Drive, Illawong Drive, Stringers Rise, One Tree Hill, Opala Court, Quamby Place, Old Warrandyte Road (between Mullum Drive and Springvale Road), and Berrima Road (between Springvale Road and Illawong Drive), Yileen Court, Woodhouse Road and Wembley Gardens.
- Construction works for Package E are expected to be completed by mid to late 2018
- Works have been completed in Drummond Close, Dempster Avenue, Robinson Court, White Lodge Court, Utrecht Court, Decontra Close and Park Road
- Works are currently underway in Larne Avenue, Murndal Drive, McGowans Road, Conos Court and Conway Avenue.
- Work will soon begin in Anglemere Crescent, Holly Green Close and Trudi Court.
- Properties in Honybun Court, Elliot Court, Vernon Street and Edwards Street have had the works in their street completed. They will soon be contacted by our on property works contractor Pressure Sewer Services Australia (PSSA) about getting a pressure sewer unit installed.
- PSSA is beginning to contact other customers that will be receiving a pressure sewer connection in Package E to organise the design and install of the pressure sewer pump units at these properties.
- Some properties in Vernon Street, Park Road, Ruby Street, Holly Green Close and Warrock Avenue are now able to connect to the new sewerage network. Owners of these properties should have received a letter explaining how to connect to the new sewerage network.
- Works for Package F began in October 2017.
- Works are currently underway include Smedley Road, Woodlands Close and Timberglades, Alder Court and Curry Road.
- Work will soon begin on Oban Road as well as Heads Road and the Melbourne Water Pipetrack behind Tallawarra Court and Tandarook Crescent.
- Our on property works contractor Pressure Sewer Services Australia (PSSA) is beginning to contact customers that will be receiving a pressure sewer connection in Package F to organise the design and install of the pressure sewer pump units at these properties.
- Construction works for Package F are scheduled to be completed by mid-2019.
Package F (Mullum Mullum Trail Section)
- Construction work for a 600 metre-long sewer between Whitefriars College, Aquarius Court and Heads Road was fast-tracked to enable the final stage of the Mullum Mullum Trail to be built along the Mullum Mullum Creek.
- Construction of this 600 metre-long sewer was completed in December 2017