Installing a backflow device
Once a property’s hazard rating is known an appropriate device can be selected.
The following indicates the type of device required for each hazard rating.
|Hazard Level||Device Type|
|High||Reduced pressure zone device (testable)|
|Medium||Double check valve (testable)|
|Low||Dual check valve|
Three step guide for existing customers
You will need to consult an accredited backflow prevention plumber to determine:
- the hazard rating of your business processes
- the type of device that is required for the hazard rating of your property.
If a backflow prevention device is required, you will have three months to install it. If your property has more than one meter you will need to install a backflow prevention device on each of the meters.
Retrofitting Backflow Prevention Devices – where an existing water service is being renewed:
From ‘main to meter’, altered or relocated a backflow prevention containment device shall be installed appropriate to the property’s hazard rating. A non-return valve is deemed not adequate backflow protection.
NOTE: If a residential property has a domestic 20-25mm water meter incorporating a dual check valve, an additional backflow prevention device is not required.
As a condition of connecting to the water supply, a backflow prevention device at the main meter is required on:
- all commercial and industrial properties
- residential properties that have a 32mm service or greater.
All new 20mm and 25mm services provide minimal backflow protection. However, depending on the site conditions, additional backflow prevention devices may be required at the main meter.
You will need to consult an accredited backflow prevention plumber to determine the hazard rating of your business processes and the device that is required for the hazard rating for your property.
What your accredited backflow prevention plumber will do
Your accredited backflow prevention plumber will:
- install the appropriate device on the outlet side of the water meter – there should be no other connections between the water meter and the backflow device
- complete the Certificate of Compliance and the Backflow Prevention Inspection and Maintenance Report for each device
- give you a copy of these forms/ test reports.
The accredited backflow prevention plumber will need to return these forms/test reports to Yarra Valley Water within two days of installing and commissioning the device.