Yarra Valley Water


Close menu

Bulk water permits

There are 2 types of permits:

  1. Commercial – for access to water filling stations and hydrants.
  2. Domestic – for access to water filling stations only (access to hydrants not permitted).

Commercial Hydrant Permit - Fact Sheet (507KB) 

Domestic Water Filling Station Permit - Fact Sheet (79KB)

Apply for a commercial permit

If you are applying for a Bulk Water (Hydrant) permit, there are a number of things you need before your permit is approved. This includes devices, equipment and training.

The following information outlines some key requirements you should ensure you have or can obtain before using Yarra Valley Water’s filling stations or hydrants.

Before accessing our water filling stations or hydrants you will need:

Purchase the following equipment:

  • Hose with MFB Fittings
  • Hose with Cam Lock Fittings
  • CFA > MFB Adaptors
  • Standard hydrant standpipe with MFB fittings
  • Hydrant key
    Above ground hydrants should only be operated using an appropriate, purpose-made hydrant key. They should not be operated with spanners, shifters or any other tool. Hydrant keys are readily available at commercial plumbing supply stores.

Backflow Prevention Devices

All water carters have a legal responsibility to ensure that each vehicle used to access water from fire hydrants is fitted with an approved backflow prevention device in accordance with the Australian Standard AS3500. This may be one of the following:

  • Registered Air Gap
  • Reduced Pressure Zone Device (RPZD).

It is a requirement that each backflow prevention device is tested by an accredited backflow plumber to ensure compliance. Test reports are to be forwarded to Yarra Valley Water with your application.


Every vehicle operator is required to undergo training in the use of hydrants.

More about hydrant training

Bulk Water Permit Application - Commercial

Apply for a domestic permit

Domestic bulk water permits are issued for water filling station use only. Hydrant access is not permitted under a domestic permit.

Bulk Water Permit Application - Domestic

Download the application form and return it to us by:

  • Email to [email protected]
  • Fax to 03 9872 1242
  • Mail to Bulk Water Coordinator, Yarra Valley Water, 25-35 Lucknow Street, Mitcham VIC 3132

Before accessing water filling stations, you will need:

  • An 80mm Hose with Cam Lock Fittings to connect from the water filling station to your tank. These fittings and hoses are readily available at commercial plumbing supply stores.
  • Training for all operators who will be using the equipment. We collect this information as part of the application process.
  • Permit stickers should be attached to the tank of the vehicle facing the rear (or the driver’s side of the vehicle.
  • A log sheet to list all fills taken. This is provided with permit.

Significant penalties may apply to individuals who breach permit conditions, access water without a permit or use water other than for the allowed purpose under the current water restrictions.

If you have any questions regarding permits, call us on 1300 771 865 Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, or email [email protected]

Add vehicles or change your permit details

If you need to make changes to your existing permit, download the relevant form and return to us.

Add vehicle to an existing commercial permit

Change vehicles on an existing commercial permit

Complete the forms and return to us.

  • Mail to Bulk Water Coordinator
    Yarra Valley Water
    25-35 Lucknow Street
    Mitcham VIC 3132
  • Fax 9872 1242
  • Email [email protected]