Building outside your home
Before making improvements or changes in your yard, it is important to know if Yarra Valley Water has any infrastructure or easements within your property.
Many things, such as sheds and pools, cannot be placed over sewer mains or other Yarra Valley Water pipes, so it is important that you know where they are located.
Before you start
- Find out where our infrastructure is within your property by purchasing a plan of your property. Find out how to purchase a property asset plan.
- If you are planning on undertaking any work on your property it is important that you ensure your design plans are compliant with our guidelines. If your plans don’t comply with our guidelines, you may be required to undertake remedial works or change your plans and reapply. This will incur additional costs. Read the guidelines.
Types of works include:
- Building a carport, garage or shed
- Installing a rainwater tank
- Building a patio or decking
- Installing a swimming pool (above or below ground)
- Excavating and/or landscaping including cut and/or fill
- Building a fence or retaining wall (including a pool fence)
- Laying a new driveway or paving
- Building houses, warehouse, apartment block, studio or outhouse, dependant persons’ unit or granny flat
- Adding an extension to an existing building
- Demolishing a property.
Apply for approval
Before you start work, you need to get your plans approved by Yarra Valley Water. To do this, you need to submit a Build Over Easement application online. You will need to include a full set of site plans, including elevation plans and structural plans if applicable, with your application.