Yarra Valley Water


Grease traps

A grease trap is a plumbing device that filters the majority of fats, oils and solid food particles out of the wastewater before it enters the sewerage system. 

A grease trap can be installed above or below ground.

Grease can solidify in sewer pipes and block them, causing a spill into your property and into the environment generally.

A well-maintained grease trap will ensure your business is protected from costly sewerage overflows and blockages. Overflows and blockages are expensive to repair, and they also produce foul odours that may force you to close your business for a period.

    Do I need a grease trap?

    The majority of food businesses producing trade waste are required to install a grease trap as part of their Trade Waste Agreement with Yarra Valley Water.

    Not having a grease trap may also mean you are charged additional treatment and maintenance fees by Yarra Valley Water until a grease trap is installed on your property.

    Please note that you cannot pay this fee instead of installing a grease trap.

    Do I have a grease trap?

    If you are not sure about whether you have a grease trap, you should check with your landlord, or the body corporate, or Yarra Valley Water or you should engage a licensed plumber to check for you.

    Please note some businesses may be connected into a communal (shared) grease trap that should be managed by a body corporate.

    How to install a grease trap
    1. Confirm with our Trade Waste department what size grease trap is required for your business.
    2. Confirm with your local Council Health Officer that the location of the grease trap is satisfactory.
    3. Obtain quotes from licensed plumbers to install.
    4. Get a licensed plumber to install grease trap.
    5. If your plumber advises that you need a grease trap that will fit under the sink, please contact Yarra Valley Water before proceeding. These units need written approval from us prior to installation. If you do not get approval first, your grease trap will have to be removed – at your expense. 
    What size grease trap do I need?

    The grease trap must be adequately sized for the volume and quality of your trade waste discharge. If your grease trap is deemed to be undersized, you may be required to upgrade to a larger unit.

    Please contact Yarra Valley Water for approval of the type and size of grease trap required for your business before installation, to ensure you meet the requirements. 

    If you have any questions, please contact the Trade Waste Team on 03 9872 1240, Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm or email [email protected].

    Close menu