Monbulk Sewerage Project
As part of the Community Sewerage Program, Yarra Valley Water is planning for the provision of a modern sewerage service for Monbulk.
Monbulk is located in the Dandenong Ranges on Melbourne’s eastern urban fringe, approximately 40 km from the Melbourne CBD. Approximately 160 properties in the town centre are connected to the Monbulk Sewage Treatment Plant. Properties not connected to the treatment plant, manage their wastewater via on-site treatment systems, such as septic tanks.
In the mid-2000s we investigated the provision of sewerage services to Monbulk. At the time the project didn’t proceed beyond investigations. Yarra Valley Water is now taking further steps towards a new sewerage service, by starting to assess options to determine the best wastewater management solution for the Monbulk area. Yarra Valley Water is committed to working with you to identify and deliver the most appropriate sewerage service for Monbulk.
The Monbulk Sewerage Project will provide new sewerage services to properties unable to contain wastewater on-site. The Monbulk area has been identified in Yarra Ranges Shire Council’s Domestic Wastewater Management Plan as requiring a sewerage service for these properties.
Did you know?
Poorly performing septic systems can also be a nuisance for you and your neighbours by creating unpleasant odour and soggy backyards.
What is happening now
We are designing the sewerage infrastructure for Monbulk Sewerage Project.
Representatives from our design consultant, Jacobs, are in your area to undertake site investigations. This involves them walking or driving along local streets, and occasionally in public land such as parks and reserves to understand the area’s ground levels and the location of existing services (such as powerlines, underground cables), which will help us in completing the design of the sewerage system for the Monbulk area.
The current estimate is to commence construction mid-2020 and have the project completed by end of 2021. Please note the note the timing of the project is dependent on a range of approvals, including planning permits, and is subject to change.
We will keep you updated about changes in the timeline and send you more information as we get closer to construction.
Between 10 July and 4 August 2017, we ran an online forum where you could have your say about which sewerage service you think is best for Monbulk.
People were asked to watch the 5 minute video about the two possible sewerage options for Monbulk, and post their opinion on Yarra Valley Water’s preferred sewerage option.
In total, we had 102 participants. The comments we received on the forum have been reviewed, and helped to inform our decision about how to provide Monbulk with a sewerage service.
In addition to the online forum comments, we held an information session at the Monbulk Living and Learning Centre on 25 July 2017, where people in the community came along to talk to the project team about the proposed sewerage servicing approach for the area.
The session was an informal drop-in session, and attendance was not mandatory. There was no formal presentation. About 60 people attended, asking great questions of the project team about the project.
We also set up a pop-up stand in Main Road, Monbulk on Saturday 29 July 2017.
Thank you for your input and attendance as part of our community consultation between 10 July and 4 August 2017.
Proceeding with the pressure sewer option
Our proposed servicing solution for Monbulk that we presented to the community was a pressure sewer option. About half of the people who provided feedback specifically showed their support for the pressure sewer option, with only about one per cent showing support for a decentralised servicing option. The rest did not provide a preference.
A summary of what people said is shown in the table below:
Consultation type Total number of registered participants Pressure sewer option preferred Decentralised servicing option preferred 'Have Your Say' online forum 31 26 - Community information session & pop-up information stand conversations 47 19 1 Phone calls 15 2 - Emails 9 4 - Total 102 51 1
With the pressure sewer option being most preferred we have made the decision to proceed with a pressure sewer network to service the Monbulk area.
Letters were sent this month, advising residents and property owners in Monbulk of the outcome of the Land Capability Assessment (LCA) for their property, and if their property is being serviced as part of the Community Sewerage Program.
We will now commence the functional design of the sewer network, which will help determine the best locations for the sewer pipes.
Once we have completed the functional design of the sewer network, we willhold another information session where people can talk to the project team and find out more about where the pipes will be located, as well as how we determined which properties would be provided with a service.
We will write to you with further information on the session in the coming months.
Construction of the sewer network is currently estimated to commence in early 2019, with the area being ready for properties to connect by mid-2021. Please note the timing of the project is dependent on a range of approvals, including planning permits, and is subject to change. We will keep people in the community updated about any changes to the timeline.
How we assess properties
For more information about the Land Capability Assessment, and what if means if a property will (or won't) be provided with a sewerage service as part of this program, please refer to the fact sheet.
- Together with Yarra Ranges Council, we met with the Monbulk Community Reference Group to provide an update, and get community feedback on the options and our proposed engagement approach.
- We continue to consult with Yarra Ranges Council to ensure that our next steps align with their Structure Plan development.
- We provided customers in the community sewerage area with an update on these next steps.
- We will be in touch with the community soon about upcoming opportunities to find out more about the two servicing options, ask questions and have a say about your preferred option.
- Following assessment of our consultants’ work we have finalised our two wastewater management options for Monbulk.
- We will be in touch and update the Community on the next steps in early 2017.
- We are continuing our organisational consultations, in particular with Yarra Ranges Council. Council are currently undertaking their Monbulk Structure Plan project and we have provided input to the draft Issues and Opportunities Report. We will continue to work with Council and align our next steps with their Structure Plan development.
- Representatives from our environmental consultant, DWC have completed their fieldwork in Monbulk. This provided us with key information about properties, which has allowed us to further refine options for managing wastewater in the area.
- Now that the options investigation is complete, we are finalising our organisational consultations with Council, EPA and Melbourne Water.
- We are working towards presenting two wastewater management options to the Monbulk community and seeking feedback. We will be in touch with our plans for community consultation, once our organisational consultations are complete.