Sewer Vents Improvement Program
Yarra Valley Water is replacing a number of sewer vents as part of our maintenance program to improve the condition of our sewerage infrastructure, which will ensure our customers are provided with a safe and reliable sewerage service.
Did you know?
Throughout Yarra Valley Water’s service district, you’ll find sewer vents. These tall poles exist to release gases from within the sewerage system, instead of within households.
Sewer vents also admit oxygen to the underground sewerage system, which prevents the likelihood of odours (that are generated by naturally-occurring chemical reactions within the sewer).
Improving our sewer vents
We engaged a contractor, Ventia, to replace part of, or all of, some ageing sewer vents in our service area, as part of a maintenance program to improve the condition of our sewerage infrastructure.
Vent replacement schedule
Between August and October 2016, Ventia will be doing replacement works in the following locations.
Partial vent replacements involve the following stages of work:
- Removing part of the existing vent – Ventia will remove the upper part of the sewer vent. This stage should take one day to complete.
- Installing the new part of the vent – about 1-2 months later, Ventia will return to install the new upper part of the sewer vent. This stage should take 1-2 days to complete.
Ventia will be doing partial vent replacements in the following locations:
- Lorne St, Hawthorn East
- Stanhope St, Malvern
- Irving St, Malvern
- Edsall St, Malvern
- Glendearg Gr, Malvern
- Illawarra Rd, Hawthorn
- Charles St, Northcote (two vents)
- High St, Northcote (two vents)
- Glenferrie Rd, Malvern
- Walton St, Kew
- Wilkinson St, Brunswick
- High St, Kew
- Union St, Northcote
Full vent replacements involve the following stages of work:
- Investigating ground conditions – Ventia will undertake geotechnical investigations to get an understanding of the ground conditions next to the vent (pole). This will ensure the foundations for the replacement vent are safe and secure. Some nearby nature strips and car parking space areas may be temporarily fenced off while these works occur. This stage should take one day to complete.
- Removing the existing vent – about one week later, Ventia will return to remove the entire vent, as well as the existing foundations for the vent. This stage should take about two days to complete. In the meantime, the hole down to the sewer will be temporarily plugged, to reduce the likelihood of noticeable odours, and prevent things from falling into the sewer. Sewer gases will therefore temporarily be dispersed into the atmosphere from the next nearest sewer vent. The space where the vent was located will be fenced off.
- Installing the new vent – about one week after the vent removal, Ventia will return to install a new sewer vent in the same location. This will involve pouring concrete for the new vent’s foundation, installing the new vent, and waiting for the concrete to cure (set). This stage should take two days to complete, depending on good weather.
Ventia will be doing full vent replacements in the following locations:
- Auburn Gr, Hawthorn East
- Smith St, Thornbury
- Spencer St, Thornbury
- Stevenson St, Kew
- Burwood Rd, Hawthorn
Water and sewerage services for nearby customers will not be affected by these works. Local residents and businesses may notice occasional construction noise during work hours, and some extra traffic (trucks) in the area.
Yarra Valley Water and Ventia will make every effort to minimise the impact of these works on the community.
If you have any questions or feedback about these works, please contact Yarra Valley Water’s project manager, Maria Krelle, on 9872 2667.